Monday, 29 April 2013

The Hero In Sighed



I heard a while back that people idolise heroes and err...idols for the simple reason that they have qualities we do not possess or wish we had more of.


Sticking solely with fictional characters let's try that theory out.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1). Snake Plissken from "Escape From New York" and "Escape From L.A".




Qualities he has...

A loner of the first order. Says very little. Is a hard bastard. A former heroic soldier (good guy) who became a career thief and criminal (very bad guy). Is the living emodiment of the expression "some men ARE islands". Has a conscience but puts saving his own life above all else. Ruthless. Doesn't bathe very often. Only has one eye but can still fly gliders, surf sewage and shoot accurately. Doesn't care about anything overly much.

His qualities that I have...

When I was in my late teens/ early twenties I used to not bathe very often.


2). Riddick from "Pitch Black" and "Chronicles of Riddick".



Qualities he has...

A bastard and then some. An athlete. Muscles everywhere. Says very little. Has a voice that makes some women wet their knickers. A killer. Borderline psychotic. Ruthless. Has the stamina of a a special forces soldier. Can see in the dark. Can fight 10 guys at once and win. Regained some of his humanity at the end of "Pitch Black" when Fry gave her life to save him, even though he wouldn't have done it for her (or anyone else). Tenacious. Determined. Doesn't care about anything overly much.

His qualities I have...

I've been described as tenacious and determined.


3). Max Rockatansky from "Mad Max", "The Road Warrior" and "Beyond Thunderdome".


Qualities he has...

A former cop (good guy) who became a cynical drifter (borderline bad guy). Takes revenge up to 11 on a biker gang who murdered his family (including leaving one to burn to death, chained to a truck). Ruthless. Tenacious. Crafty (bomb on car fuel tank AND knife strapped to bomb). Looks good in torn, faded leather uniform. Drives an awesome car. Has a code of ethics but is willing to murder for his own survival. In the second film is incapable of showing or even feeling emotion due to the vacuum left in his soul after the events of the first movie. Keeps his word. Is only as brutal as he needs to be. Regains his humanity in the 3rd movie by offering his life to save some children.

His qualities I have...

I was a cop. Tenacity again. I keep my word.


4). Jason Bourne (Matt Damon version) from the Bourne trilogy (that 4th one is a bastard offspring!!!)


Qualities he has...

Can fight like an E5 Krav Maga instructor (15th grade). Can speak Italian, French, Spanish, German, Russian and possibly other languages. Is tenacious. Has unbelievable stamina. Has a high IQ. Is inventive. Can think laterally in perilous situations. Can kick the ass of an armed assassin with a biro/ rolled up magazine/ towel/ book. Is tender. Reacts instinctively to physical threats (or even being asked a question in another language). Dies harder than John Mcclane. Has a soft spot for children (his undoing in the first movie). Tries to make amends for what he's done in the past. Feels guilty every time he kills someone (but it doesn't stop him doing it).

His qualities I have...

Our old pal tenacity. I have a soft spot for kids. I can speak Italian. I have a high IQ.



5). Bryan Mills from "Taken" and "Taken 2"


Qualities he has...

Paternal love. Loyalty. Tenderness. Compassion. Ludicrous stamina for a bloke in his 50s. Generosity. Is Jason Bourne's older brother as he is basically a retired Jason Bourne. Can think laterally. Is ruthless. Fights dirty (and then some). Lies to get what he needs. Tortures bad guys, implies they'll survive it if they talk, then kills them anyway. Can fight like a G5 Krav Maga student (10th grade). Takes a common sense and pragmatic approach to fighting loads of blokes at the same time (e.g. throws a table up in the air in the middle of a formerly pleasant conversation, shoots a guy in the back who didn't know he was there). Hurts innocent people to get their guilty husbands to talk. Keeps his word. Cries when he finally finds the daughter he's just murdered 34 people to find. In any other movie would probably have been the villain.

His qualities I have...

Loyalty. Tenderness. Compassion. I keep my word.


6). Mordalayn of Alegria from my books "The Catastrophe of the Emerald Queen" and "The Sunder of the Octagon".




Qualities he has...

Bravery. Compassion. Strength. Nobility. Honour. Chivalry. He hates bullies. He defends the weak. He has barely controlled (albeit he can control them) rage issues. He fights like a bastard. He fights dirty to win. He is not afraid to show emotion or even cry in front of his queen. He's resourceful. He's tenacious. He only uses necessary violence. He would lay down his life for someone he loves.

His qualities I have...

As I wrote it, most of them in milder doses. Fair to point out that I'm not 7 feet tall with the head of a Caracal and I don't own a magical, 3 bladed sword (nor have I killed over 1000 men in about 2 minutes or thrown a chav into the lake in Jephson Gardens, Leamington Spa).
----------------------------------------------------

Overall result =

Oh dear!

I disabled my Facebook account today. It will be off for at least a month. Reality intrudes at last.

15 comments:

  1. Lance Manley ... I've heard of you ...... I heard you were dead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lance.

    An emergency call to my mates.

    They are cutting me off from contact.

    BIG TIME trouble!

    Feral.

    Ps. If I don't come back, I will still carry on. Look after what I cherish dear please and hold on to what is right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You still spouting the same bizarre 'distress calls' as you did on IGs blog, then.

      It's boring.

      Stop drinking and seek professional help.

      Regards

      P Ed.

      Delete
  3. Another comment Feral,I thought you were boycotting this blog as someone had the cheek to disagree with you?
    Unfortunately the cutting off didn't work did it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder where the others from Gadget's blog went during The Scattering once his blog was put to sleep?

      One bugger turned up on Amazon. Apologies to the cop in Cleveland I thought had done it.

      Delete
    2. We're all still out there Lance waiting in cyberspace for the big man to return ..... one day maybe?

      Delete
    3. I inherited Feral, Jaded and Jim the Crim. Wonder where that cunt Cor! went?

      Delete
  4. Prolly right. I've been taken for a bum. Never mind.

    Cheers.

    Feral.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Many of us are at another blog and I'd love to spill the beans but that would of course inevitably lead to that psychotic drunk racist following you there, so I won't.

    Chin chin

    Presuming Ed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you email it to me? Address on the right.

      Delete
    2. Are you sure? Cor! is also with us now and I'd hate for you two to start fighting again.

      Any disclosure would be strictly with the caveat that you do NOTHING to allow 'it' to follow you there.

      Oh, and "address on the right"?...

      P Ed.
      xx

      Delete
    3. The email address where it says "get in touch" in the right hand column.

      A fight is two or more people squabbling. If you remember, for the final year of IG's blog I simply ignored Cor! I will continue to do so.

      I won't tell "it".

      Delete
  6. did you get my email?

    P Ed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope. Try lancer_manley at hotmail.com instead.

      Delete
    2. Shijuro is Not George Dixon's blog.

      Delete

Your turn to speak...
Feel free to disagree but insults and insinuations
will get your comment deleted.