Tuesday, 13 December 2011

Arm yourself because no one else here will save you...

Today some cunt went berserk in Belgium and killed a load of people with grenades and gunfire before offing himself. 

Debate rages on the Net about whether UK cops should be armed.

Here's what I think...

I know a former Sherrif’s deputy from Texas who is now in the army and training to be a chaplain. He completed three levels of scuba diving in Crete last year in about 2 weeks (Open Water, Advanced Open Water and Rescue Diver). He would drink (heavily) until about 4am every day on holiday and then have 4 hours sleep and get up (with no hangover) to go diving.

He has a collection of about 57 guns at home (showed me photos) and despite all this is one of the most level headed people I have ever met (told a drunken guy to leave the pub for swearing in front of kids with the softly spoken words “if you don’t go then you and me will have a problem my friend”).

He was in Plakias, Crete which is the equivalent of both Valhalla and Tortuga mixed with The Land of Take What You Want and a dash of Sugar Candy Mountain. Despite this he remained loyal to his girlfriend back in the USA and didn't shag anyone while he was holidaying.

He heard my stories of being a scarecrow in body armour and asked almost rhetorically “your cops have a gun in the car though right?”

I had to tell him 3 times “no” before he believed me. He then said in exasperation “you Brits are f***ing CRAZY!!!”

While researching for my new kids' book THE CATASTROPHE OF THE EMERALD QUEEN I’m currently hawking around literary agents I approached firearms cops at Heathrow Terminal 5 for a chat about the armed challenge, who the ranking officer at a spontaneous incident would be (2 pips) and what they would do if someone was wearing a sword but it was sheathed.

Blokes were all incredibly friendly and helpful and the fact they were carrying automatic weapons plus big sidearms did NOT make me soil my undies and I couldn’t perceive that effect being achieved on passers by.

Reason? People are reassured by armed cops at airports as it makes them feel safe as they are less likely to be worried about terrorists. Seeing armed cops on the streets gives many of the same people a sense of outrage as they think their road is their sanctuary and they understand its subtle nuances and cops with guns is a police state in waiting.

The public like to see armed cops when it suits them. Same way I got drunk brokers attempting to hug me in the City of London up till about August 7th 2005 due to the terrorist attacks a month prior, burbling about what a great job I was doing and how I wasn’t a fascist.

Can’t have your cake and eat it folks.

1 comment:

  1. Over 30,000 gun deaths a year in the USA. Think on...

    ReplyDelete

Your turn to speak...
Feel free to disagree but insults and insinuations
will get your comment deleted.